Oops! This site has expired. If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.

Pyburn Street Church of Christ

Click here to edit subtitle

 

The church in Pocahontas had its beginning in 1892 when W.A. Goodwin and J. Will Henley conducted a mission meeting. The results of this meeting consisted of the attendance of three ladies all over the age of fifty. Each of these ladies were baptized at the end of the service. This marked the beginning of the church in Pocahontas. The Lemmons family provided the first preachers for this new congregation which met in the Randolph County Courthouse and occasionally in the Methodist Church building. In 1914 the church purchased property at the corner of Pyburn and Bryant Streets near downtown Pocahontas and constructed what is arguably the most beautiful church of Christ meetinghouse that has ever been constructed in Northeast Arkansas. When the building was completed on July 26, 1914, Raymond Henley, the fourteen year old son of J. Will Henley preached the first sermon in the building. The congregation was henceforth known as Pyburn Street church of Christ.


Due to lack of adequate space, in 1954 it was determined that a new building needed to be constructed. The old building was torn down and the church met again in the old Randolph County Courthouse while the current brick building was being constructed.


Pyburn Street has been involved in many fruitful ministries throughout the years including operation of a children’s home, having what is likely the longest running religious radio program in the state of Arkansas, participating in services at area nursing homes, support numerous missionaries, and assisting smaller churches with preachers.


When other congregations were established in Pocahontas, members from Pyburn Street identified with these churches and have served as preachers, elders, deacons, teachers, as well as been involved in various ministries in these sister churches.


Pyburn Street continues today as a vibrant congregation striving to serve God, and doing many good works for the Lord throughout Northeast Arkansas and around the world.